Saturday, January 23, 2010

cancer sucks

Every day I get reminded of how much cancer sucks. Yesterday while I was attending to the needs of my sister who was having her shoulder replaced in NY I looked around the room. People from every direction there to have some sort of orthopedic surgery by the best docs in the country.
When I went to get my car out of the parking lot, a woman who I had seen in the Atrium waiting area with her family approached me and asked about my ribbon tattoo. I told her I had ovarian cancer and that this was teal colored ribbon for ovarian cancer. I showed her the Eye of Protection tattooed above it. She then proceeded to show me her green wrist band and a tattoo of her a rose and her husbands name on her ankle. She said he had kidney cancer and green was the color of the ribbon that represents kidney cancer. As she was getting into her car with her sister or a friend, I asked how her husband was doing.... she replied, "oh, he died. He fought the battle for 10 years, but passed away." I looked at her as only a cancer patient or survivor can, with a look that only comes out with this kind of empathy and told her how sorry I was. She looked so young, maybe late 30s.... probably had some kids... she was driving a big vehicle... I welled up as she drove away.
Cancer sucks, it takes advantage of everyone and holds no prisoners.
Cancer hurts babies, children, young adults, women, men, rich people, poor people, healthy active people who take care of themselves, people who don't take care of themselves, black people, white people, Asian people, Indians from every continent, people in the city or the country or on islands or in deserts, blond haired blue eyed people, dark haired dark eyed people, people with are emotionally strong, people who are emotionally weak, single people, married people, people with kids, fat people, skinny people, people who smoke or don't smoke, the list goes on and on.
It always makes me think of these trucks I see on my lengthy commutes that say either... stay healthy, eat more fish, or stay healthy, eat more chicken.... me thinks that's a lot of bull shit.
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment